English Bay Swim Club is a Vancouver master swim club welcoming gay and gay-friendly swimmers into the pool since 1982. We have over 100 active members and are among the largest clubs in British Columbia. We promote and support participation in swimming among lesbians, gay men and friends of the community and uphold the Masters’ philosophy of fun, friendship and fitness for life in an environment that is safe, positive and socially active.
Our active members are aged 22 and over with a variety of abilities and goals from fitness to competitive swimming. We train at the Vancouver Aquatic Centre. We are currently looking to fill a coaching position for two days per week for a total of 3,5 hours.
The ideal candidate will:
- Work under the direction of the head coach
- Participate in practice, swim meets and other team social functions
- Listen to swimmers’ needs and help with stroke corrections
- Be personable with our diverse group of swimmers
- Know the importance of team work
- Understand sportsmanship and fun
Please reply with a cover letter and resume stating qualifications, experience and coaching philosophy. Send your application to: email@example.com by January 3rd, 2014.
Starting date: January 2014.
Quickie 1 – Upcoming meets
- Saturday January 25, 2014 – Nanaimo Ebbtides Swim Meet (SCM) – Nanaimo
- Sunday January 26, 2014 – Vernon Masters SwimFest Meet (SCM) – Vernon
- Sunday February 9, 2014 – English Bay Love to Swim Meet (SCM) – Vancouver
- Saturday March 1, 2014 – Victoria Masters Long Course Meet (LCM) – Victoria
- April 25-27, 2014 – MSABC Provincial Championships (SCM) – Kelowna
- May 16-19, 2014 – MSC Canadian Championships (SCM) – Windsor, Ont
- August 2-9, 2014 – FINA World Masters Championships (LCM) – Montreal, QC
For more information go here
Quickie 2 – Honour your swim-mates!
Nominations are being accepted for both the Ted Simpson Achievement and Stan Powell Memorial Service Awards. Learn more here.
Quickie 3 – Insurance Certificates
If your club is in need of an insurance certificate please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Quickie 4 – EBSC Christmas Camp
English Bay Swim Club his hosting a Holiday Swim Camp which is available to all MSABC swimmers. For more information go here.
- Because it’s the best way to stay healthy
- Mental Health
- So I can eat more chocolate
- Nice packages
- My social life
- Physical health
- Fun competition
- Great people
- Connects me to my youth
- The friendship
- I swim for my health, friendship. I enjoy swimming, it is a great motivator. I can always get better.
- I love swimming because I love the feeling of tranquility that the water gives me.
- Love to swim for fun, fitness, companionship, sexy bodies and ages 20 to 100 are welcome. It’s really amazing that people swim all their life!!
- I swim because the people I meet are great!
- Hang around with awesome people.
- It allows me a day off work for national competition!
- There are some fantastic looking bodies wondering the deck.
- Shaving point two off of a PB.
- Two kinds of swimmers. Masters swimmers are women. Men not. What can I say.
- I love winning!
- Lifeguards are cute.
- Because it’s the next best thing to flying : )
- Challenges me like no other sport does.
- Social and hang out.
- I like to swim to keep me fit and I love it!
- Keep me young at heart even as I slow with age.
- I like the feeling of power in the water.
- I swim to keep up with younger people.
- To leave the artic.
- Keep our brains working.
- The feeling of freedom.
- I just love to be in the water.
- I like to swim where everybody knows your name!
- I get to check out the guys in their speedos.
- I love swimming because it gives me something to whine about.
- It’s a great stress relief… the work day gets washed away 🙂
- To keep sane.
- I swim because it’s fun.
- I love being on a team again like I was as a kid.
- Challenge, friendships, fitness and self-improvement.
- It allows me to eat more!
- It’s a softer admosphere (less gravity)
- I love the water. I love the people. Great coach. Great time!
- Fit men in skimpy suits.
- Place of comfort and in shape.
- Speedos, people, fun.
- The smiles after the race.
- I use it for a great therapy for my cracked left knee. 7 months ago I had an accident.
- It’s a good excuse to enjoy a cold beer!
- Fun, fitness, reaching goals, meeting people : )
- THRILL of being on the blocks.
- Because I love the smell of chlorine!
- Stay active.
- To see friends.
- To fulfil a childhood dream of swimming the English Channel in 2013.
- For the fun and fitness and friends.
- Clear my head. Inspiration from swimmers 80+
- To raise funds for a good cause.
- To keep smart!
- Fun, fitness and many friends and to keep in good shape.
- I swim for friendship and fun.
- The company is diverse and fun … we’re all in it for our own reasons.
- It feels good all day after a swim AND I LOVE TO RACE!
- To slow down my aging.
- To challenge myself to learn new skills.
- I swim for fitness and the social contact with other swimmers.
- It is a refreshing experience.
- I swim because it’s very healthy a fun with the masters.
- I like to swim because it keeps me healthy and I forget all my worries.
- To swim better.
- So that I will drink less on week nights!
- I love to swim for fitness and fun.
- Keep me in shape, healthy and meet people. It completes me as a person.
- I am destined to reach 90+ and want to enjoy every year along the way.
- When you have been doing it for 80 years it seems natural.