Your MSABC Board of Directors met recently, and would like to pass on some important information to the membership:
- Masters Swimming Canada (MSC) would like to have a western club host the Canadian Masters Swimming Championships in May 2019. The host would have to have a minimum of a 50m pool that could run a double-ended 25m event. Any Masters Swim Clubs interested are encouraged to contact Rod Carmichael firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- MSABC Board is soliciting interest in hosting our Provincial Championships in April 2018. Kelowna will be hosting Provincials 2017, so teams from Vancouver Island or the Lower Mainland are encouraged to contact Rod Carmichael email@example.com for more information.
- CBC recently did a story on our oldest competitive swimmer, Fred Schulhof. You can see the story here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/oldest-competitive-swimmer-in-bc-97-1.3866145
- MSABC Board will be awarding the Ted Simpson Achievement Award and the Stan Powell Memorial Service Award at the 2017 Provincials Banquet. Nominations can be sent in anytime and the earlier the better. Nominations will close 31 March 2017. Details on the awards can be found here: Awards feel free to contact Rod Carmichael firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- MSABC Board will need some new members to get voted in at the April 2017 AGM:
President – Rod does not intend to run again
Secretary – Brenda does not intend to run again
Communications – Position currently vacant. Anyone interested in that position could be appointed by the board and commence immediately
Treasurer and 2 Director-at-Large positions will also be elected.
Submitted by Melissa Goddard for MSABC Members
Be sure to come to the banquet at the Provincials and find out who wins the Ted Simpson and Stan Powell Awards
Ted Simpson Award Nominees
If any of you ever wondered whether you could make a change, accomplish something difficult, confront your own fears, make your dreams happen – look no further than Aart. Aart had a stroke, paralyzing his left side, February 2015 and that’s not keeping him on the couch. He swam in the 55+Games in August 2015 and in the Love to Swim EBSC meet in February. He swims freestyle and backstroke one armed. He is a huge inspiration to many.
More information to come.
Stan Powell Award Nominees
Khosro lives and breathes swimming.
Coaches Canadian Dolphins, West Van otters and North Shore masters. Introduced Masters for kids program on North Shore. Started North Shore Masters. Bought at his own expense electronic timing system currently used 20 times a year for Masters and kids meets. Manager for North Shore masters meet, 55+ games and Provincials.
Understands the club Assistant. At his own expense converted the North Shore Masters website to Team Unify for better communication and services.
The important person no one ever sees. Julie has been the MSABC records person forever. She is the one who makes sure your BC, Canadian and world records are filed with the proper person to be certified. She is the one who is responsible for all of then Certificates that come your way after the above work is done, She has gone from receiving a bag of paper applications after every meet in BC and beyond to currently being flooded with e files week after week.
If you only realize after the fact you were successful she guides you through who to ask for what so your small piece of Fame is recorded. She has been doing this so long that no one but Julie (maybe Dennis) knows when she started. Years of work put in by a volunteer that never asks for help.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO HELP WITH ANNUAL FINANCIAL REVIEW
MSABC is currently seeking the assistance of two members for 1 to 2 hours to review our bookkeeping for the past year. If you are attending the Provincial Championships and are vailable to help please contact our treasurer Peter Heusel
VOLUNTEER BOARD MEMEMBERS NEEDED
MSABC is currently seeking volunteer board members for the upcoming year. The following positions are up for election:
- Vice President
- Director of Communications
- Director at Large
Please contact Rod Carmichael for more information.
Please note the MSABC has updated our By-Laws as per the request of the Registrar of Companies. We will need you, the members, to confirm you are ok with the updated by-laws at our upcoming AGM.
The MSABC Annual General meeting will be held approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of competition on Saturday, April 23rd in the Multipurpose Room at Watermania.
You can view the By-laws here.
See you at the Provincials!
Hosted by the North Shore Masters and North Shore Aquatics Society this year’s provincial championships will take place at Watermainia in Richmond, BC from April 22 to 24, 2016.
Book at room at the local Holiday Inn Express & Suites at Riverport (5 minute walk to Watermania or Banquet Venue) from $125 to 145.00 per night. Be sure to quote the block name: Masters Provincial Swimming Championships for special pricing.
A recent Societies Act change requires that all not-for-profits have their bylaws available in electronic format. This has prompted the board of directors to not only digitize but also modernize MSABC’s bylaws.
As we work through the bylaws at top of mind is MSABC’s past, present and future. Our current bylaws were last reviewed in 2000 and certain aspects have since become irrelevant. In addition, Governance is in need of modernization to reflect current best practices.
Our end goal is to create user friendly, plain language bylaws that will help guide us through the various processes under which we operate. Bylaws are the backstop to the policies that govern our very dynamic organization.
In early April 2016 we will publish the proposed changes to the bylaws for your review. Ultimately the board will ask you to vote on the adoption of the new bylaws at this year’s AGM in Richmond.